In 1902, the “A” was followed by the Model G, equipped with a two-cylinder engine, and a year later, their Ohio Automobile Company was renamed Packard Motorcar Company.
In 1912, the American brand revealed its first luxury passenger car, the Model 48 equipped with a six-cylinder engine. Later, on 1 June 1915, the same model was fitted with the first mass-produced V12 engine which was also retrofitted to the Model G. The brand launched another model equipped with a six-cylinder engine, called the Single Six in 1921.
The rest of their range was based on eight- and 12 cylinder engines—all of which did very well in the booming automobile market. The onset of the “Great Depression” in 1929 however, dealt a heavy blow to the brands rocketing sales figures.
The Packard 433 Single Six (305) in the Museu do Caramulo was built in 1927. Its six-cylinder 4730cc engine produced 82hp and the Packard reached a very respectable top speed of 115 km/h, considering its 1910 kg weight.
Currently at about 68,000 km, the Packard 433 in the Museu do Caramulo is exceptionally well preserved. It maintains its original paintwork and upholstery, and the mechanical parts also remain as original—in a condition worthy of comparison with those of a modern automobile.
The Packard was purchased on January 2, 1958, by João de Lacerda from the Conde de Margaride family, of Guimarães, who in turn acquired it anew on March 4, 1927, imported from America by Orey Antunes.
The Packard 433 (305), with its Limousine-type bodywork, cost 2885$ in the United States and is one of the cars in the Museu do Caramulo which exemplifies the luxurious workmanship of American manufacturers during the 1920s.