This type of bicycle was first created in 1861 by Pierre Michaux, but his firm, Compagnie Ancienne Maison Michaux et Cie never patented the design.
It would most likely have been manufactured by one of the many companies who were famously known to copy Michaux’s unpatented designs. The diameter of the wheels and metric measurements point to a French manufacturing origin.
This early bicycle design weighs about 28kg and has an 88 cm diameter wheel at the front and 73 cm at the rear.
The bicycle was donated to the Museu do Caramulo by Tiago Patrício Gouveia.