Available in two- and four-door versions, the new 1900 was proffered as the “family car that won races at the weekend”, a fact proven by the car’s successes on esteemed stages like the Targa Florio and the Stella Alpina.
In 1951 the short wheelbase version of the Alfa Romeo 1900 appeared, and it was immediately embraced as the standard-bearer by the Italian body-stylists of the time. From Pininfarina to Zagato, Ghia, Castagna and Boano, the new 1900C would receive new forms that tried to accentuate its sporting spirit. But it would be Carrozzeria Touring Superleggera, a company founded in the late 1920s, that produced the largest number of 1900C’s. Always linked to the Arese brand, Touring offered at the time, four different types of bodies for the 1900s. Out of those, the Superleggera was the most coveted because of its low weight and elegance. Using a patented construction system based on thin steel tubing structure lined with hand-tapped panels, the Alfa Romeo 1900C SS was as ingenious as it was fast, making it a popular choice for private individuals with aspirations in the world of motor racing.
The magnificent Alfa Romeo 1900C SS in the Museu do Caramulo was first registered in 1956, a year after the model was introduced. Its 1975cc four-cylinder engine outputs 115hp, which is delivered to the road through a five-speed fully synchronized gearbox. With its black lacquered Touring Superleggera body, light tinted interior and spoked Borrani rims which nicely complement the aesthetics, the 1900C SS with license plate HC-64-82 is one of the most exquisite examples still in existence.
Most interestingly, this very car, donated by Vicente Cannas Mendes and housed in the museum is fully eligible to participate in the Mille Miglia.