Although both bikes shared a similar drive-train, the Gold Star did have some new design elements of its own. Its telescopic front fork was matched with a piston suspension system at the rear, and for those who wanted to use the bike for trials, they were offered a rigid frame version.
Performance of the Gold Star was also much improved over the B31, with the new model reaching a higher top speed—something which helped the bike achieve great commercial success.
BSA would add a 500cc version to the Gold Star line up just two years after the 350cc was unveiled at Earls Court. The British marque did however continue to make improvements to the 350cc variant, keeping both options reasonably competitive and refined. Reinforcements were later welded into the 350cc frame to help it cope with the bike’s engine vibrations.
Over the years and in the face of strong competition, both on the roads and at the tracks, the BSA Gold Star slowly became obsolete. This was in part due to the bikes’ heavyweight engine compared to its rivals. The last of the Gold Stars were manufactured in 1963.
The version in the Museu do Caramulo is fitted with a 350cc single-cylinder engine and left BSA’s assembly line in 1952.