Differing in size and bodywork as well as the level of trim, the Series 75 models were most popular among Cadillac’s affluent clientele. In the post-war period, they were the most prestigious automobiles in the United States of America, and it is not surprising that in 1947, the firm produced 59,436 units.
The new Series 75 came to occupy the space of the previous series 72 and 67, both of which were smaller in size. With a wheelbase of 3500 mm, and a body distinct from others produced by the brand, this model could be ordered in one of five Touring Sedan configurations; with small side windows, additional seats; business, or the Seven-seat and nine-seat imperial variants.
All versions were equipped with Cadillac’s 5.7 litre side-valve V8 engine, which was introduced in 1938 and produced 150hp. The Series 75 featured side skirts, hood and stainless steel sills on the outside, while the inside trim was described as luxurious.
In 1947, the Portuguese State sanctioned the purchase of two identical Cadillac Series 75’s, one for the President of the Republic – Óscar Carmona and the other for the President of the Council of Ministers – Prof. Oliveira Salazar. Before that, all official vehicles were standardised on make and models. All Ministers had Packard Clipper cars, eight cylinders, seven seats, and the Secretaries and Under-Secretaries of State’s cars were of the same brand, but with five seats.
Salazar always used his allocated Cadillac Until his death in 1970, even refusing a Mercedes-Benz 600 acquired by the Ministry of Finance in 1968—a car now under the Presidency of the Republic. He claimed that the Cadillac was still in good condition and served him very well in his official capacity.
In April 1971, less than a year after Salazar’s death, the Cadillac Series 75 was sold at auction and was then acquired by João de Lacerda to be exhibited at the Museu do Caramulo. Interestingly, the interior of the model remains in perfect condition, having been protected with seat covers by order of Salazar himself.