It was with the success achieved by this model, launched at the Turin Motor Show in September of 1948, that provided the foot-hold for the brand to establish itself as the iconic road and sporting marque which continues to this day.

With the objective of participating in long distance events such as the Mille Miglia, and in honour of the victory of its predecessor the “166 Sport” in that historic race, the 166 was assigned with the acronym MM (for Milia Miglia). It was also given the “Barchetta” tag because the shape of its bodywork evoked images of a small boat (barchetta in Italian).

Powered by the historic V12 engine designed by Gioacchino Colombo, the 166 also pays homage to that engine with its name; 166 referring to the 166cc capacity per cylinder. This example exhibited at the Museu do Caramulo began its history in Portugal on June 10, 1950, when João A. Gaspar, importer and Ferrari agent, received it bearing chassis number # 0056M at his exhibition hall on Rua Passos Manuel, 225, in the city of Porto.

Fitted with a body sculpted by the Touring house of Milan, it was then painted in dark metallic blue and equipped with two fog lights at the front and a competition interior finish before being delivered to its first owner, José Barbot.

That same year, on the 15th of September, José Júlio Marinho acquired it from José Barbot, and commenced his extensive participation in competitions within Portugal. Its first taste of competition was at the I Grand Prix of Portugal on the 17th of June 1951, held in Boavista, Porto, driven by Guilherme Guimarães. The car qualified in 10th place out of the 29 participants but would finish the race early, completing just four laps.

Next it raced at the 10th International Circuit of Vila Real on July 15, 1951, again in the hands of Guilherme Guimarães, who qualified 8th on the grid of 17 competitors, but again he was forced to withdraw early from the race following a minor accident.

Unfazed the next day, the car ran in the Festival Nocturno at the Estádio Lima Porto, this time driven by Piero Carini, who loaned it from Guimarães. Carini finished in an impressive 2nd place overall, beaten only by the winner, Giovanni Bracco.

The 166 MM participated in the II Grande Premio de Portugal, in Porto (Boavista), driven again by Guilherme Guimarães on 22 June 1952. Among the 22 participants, he qualified in 12th place and finished the race in 8th, some five laps own on the winner, Eugenio Castelotti.

This was followed by the race of the XI International Circuit of Vila Real, on the 6th of July, where Guimarães placed 10th on the grid of 20 and finished the race in 5th, only three laps down on the winner, Casimiro de Oliveira.

On the 27th of the same month the car returned to compete at Rampa da Penha, in Guimarães. This was followed by participation in the III Circuit of Vila do Conde at the end of August, with a podium finish and Guilherme Guimarães at the wheel. This 3rd place finish was five laps short of the eventual winner, Casimiro de Oliveira.

The 166 returned to racing at the IV Circuit of Vila do Conde, in a race that took place on September 27, 1952, and in which the four racing Ferraris existing at the time in Portugal participated. They were the 225 S of D. Fernando Mascarenhas, the 340 America by José Nogueira Pinto, the 166 MM Barchetta by José Soares Cabral and the 225 S by Casimiro de Oliveira.

On July 26, 1953, the car qualified in the penultimate place on the grid among 19 participants for the ACP Grand Jubilee Prize, in Monsanto, but did not make it to the start of the race.

Still in 1953, it finally took the 1st step on the podium, in Class S2 with Guilherme Guimarães at the Porto Speed ​​Trial (a 1 km sprint from stand-still and a 500m launch in Pedras Rubras).

Two months afterwards, the Ferrari 166 MM was registered in the name of José Ferreira da Silva, resident in Anadia, who on July 26 took part in the practice session for the V Grande Prémio de Portugal, in Porto (Boavista) but did not start the race.

During 1956, the car with plate “0056 M” was kept in Lisbon at the Palma, Morgado & Cª Lda. workshops together with the first 166 MM Touring Barchetta, registered in Portugal (chassis # 0040 M), and a 225 S Vignale Spider (# 0200 ED).

In 1957, the 166 MM was sold to ATCA (Automóvel e Touring Clube de Angola) together with the “225 S Spider Vignale”, by D. Fernando Mascarenhas, both with the aim of being used in competition by drivers chosen by the Angolan club.

Driven by Maximino Morais Correia, it participated in the I Grand Prix of Angola in September of 1957, but as a result of a series of mechanical problems Correia did not set a time that would allow him to start the race. This disappointment was rectified in September of the following year when it ran the II Cup of the City of Luanda, finishing in 6th place overall.

In September 1959, the ATCA club selected the driver Sebastião Borges Gouveia to participate in the III Grand Prix of Leopoldville, in the Belgian Congo, but it gave up during the race.  For the III Grand Prix of Angola, he qualified 21st out of 24 participants and finished 16th and last, some 19 laps from the winner, Curt Lincoln.

In July 1960, the driver choice fell on João Alves, who won his class at the wheel of the 166 MM in the Lourenço Marques City Cup, Mozambique, finishing in 7th place overall in the race won by Syd van der Vyer.

In the same year, the ATCA club sold this 166 MM to António Lopes Rodrigues, who registered it in Mozambique to participate in the Rampa da Polana, Lourenço Marques, this time appearing with the bodywork in white.  António Lopes Rodrigues also participated in the “Formule Libre and Sports Car” at the Lourenço Marques International Circuit.

In August 1963, the 166 MM changed ownership again, when Hugh Gearing, from Johannesburg, South Africa purchased it from António L. Rodrigues.

Ten years later, Hugh Gearing sold it to Robert van Zyl, (the current owner) also from Johannesburg.

Robert and Geerie van Zyl participated in the Historic Mille Miglia races that took place from 9th to 12th of May 1996.

The following year, Robert was present at a meeting promoted by the Ferrari Club of South Africa, for the celebration of Ferrari’s 50th Anniversary at the Kyalami track.

Robert and Patricia van Zyl drove the Ferrari again at the Historic Mille Miglia, in May 2004, and again in May 2011.

In the same year, on 17 September, Geerie van Zyl drove the 166 MM in the “Freddie March Memorial Trophy”, an integral part of the “Goodwood Revival Meeting”.