Automobile sponsored by:
Equipped with a 2996cc six-cylinder engine fed by two Solex carburetors, the Adenauer developed a very respectable 125hp. This is the same engine as found in the famous 300SL, only on that model it is fitted with a fuel injection system.
The 300 “Adenauer” is capable of reaching a maximum speed of 160 km/h, an impressive feat for a 1950’s car weighing 1810 kg. This particular version in the Museu do Caramulo has an electrically adjustable rear suspension and a glass barrier between the driver and passenger compartments.
Built on oval-sectioned tubular chassis with crossed reinforcements similar to the 170S and 220 models, the W186 was also fitted with independent suspension and four-wheel drum brakes. Given the level of customer whom the car was aimed at, the company employed a team of specialized craftsmen to work on each car.
The W186 was delivered to its clients fully equipped with the highest quality materials the brand could find. It was one of the few cars at the time able to take six occupants in total comfort whilst maintaining its high-speed performance. Such superior qualities adhered the W186 to those who could afford it—mostly politicians, industrialists and high net worth individuals.
The Mercedes-Benz 300 “Adenauer”, currently on display at the Museu do Caramulo, was donated in March 1972 by Manuel Guilherme Bastos Mendes, son of its first owner, Emídio Mendes. Mendes brought the car to Portugal in July 1952, being the first of this model to touch Portuguese soil.
This car was donated to the Museu do Caramulo by Manuel Guilherme Bastos Mendes.