In 1906 a one-model policy was set by newcomer Claude Johnson, and in 1907 the immortal Silver Ghost was presented, the name given to the prototype that was bodied in polished aluminium. The first cars to have this designation were equipped with a 48cv engine at 12.000 revolutions per minute, whose main features were its innovative lubrication and dual ignition systems.
Purchased in Lisbon, in March 1956, by João de Lacerda from its previous owner, Bernardino Gomes, the Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, with chassis number 6YE and engine number 191, was restored in collaboration with the brand’s Portuguese importer, Harry Rugeroni, in his workshop at Rua Tomás Ribeiro, also in the same town.
Having been built at the end of 1920, the Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost of the Museu do Caramulo was originally bodied in Belgium, in Brougham, by the company D’Ieteren-Frères-Bruxelles.
Equipped with the English brand’s traditional 7,5 litre, twin ignition, six-cylinder engine, the power is transmitted to the rear wheels via a four-speed gearbox. Capable of reaching a maximum speed of 100 km/h, the Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost only has rear axle brakes to counteract its 2330 kg.
The interior is fully trimmed in walnut wood, while the original upholstery features two foldable seats and two retractable seats. The windows slide vertically and are fitted with a system of spring compensators to make them easier to operate.