When it came to its motorcycles, Wanderer Werke fitted a range of engines to cover the varied needs of the market at the time. Their engines ranged from a 406 and 616cc V-twin engine to 327 and 387cc single-cylinder units. Wanderer Werke bikes were considered by the paying public to be of higher quality compared to their competition, making many of their developments a commercial success.
By the time the 1920s came around, the German firm had achieved remarkable successes with its motorcycles, both in sales and in competition. But in 1929, it abandoned the manufacture of motorcycles and sold its designs (including those of its engines) to Jawa of Czechoslovakia, who in turn began selling the bikes under their brand.
The Wanderer on display in the Museu do Caramulo was bought for $9,000 in 1966, from Vergílio de Sousa Rocha, a resident of Lisbon. Commenting on the eye-watering price for the time, an enthusiast is noted to have pointed out that:
“luckily, it is impeccable both in appearance and mechanics. The odometer reads 5000 km and [it looks like the bike] has been religiously guarded for more than 30 years by the family of the first and only owner.”
The bike came to Caramulo on August 10, 1967 and was donated to the Museu do Caramulo by Madalena Lacerda Gouveia.